Friday, May 26, 2006

Bleary Eyed, but Finished

So, I stayed up til 1:30 last night making sure all was well for this weekends faire (we'll be on the road this evening).
I still haven't packed, but I have a centralized pile of costume things, and among them is the finished flemish man. Not even any handsewing left to do in the car on the ride down....

So, what I learned:
1) Pants suck. Or, the more optimistic version: I need more practice making pants.
2) My handsewing needs work. I ended up doing the doublet sleeve hems in handstitched linen thread. Which sounds perversely period (my new favorite term), except that I think in period they could sew much better than I (see below pic)
3) When making a doublet with skirting, leave a gap in the front for the loin pillow (if there is one). Cuz right now the codpiece doesn't "peek" like it should. Ah, nix that "no handsewing in the car" coment-- this might be something I fix then.
4) Buttonhole stitched eyelets are the shiznit. Oh yeah....
5) Next time, leave enough time to do the buttonholes by hand. the machine ones are nice, but not the same...
And, lastly......
6) Never, NEVER overstuff your walrus codpiece....

That's all for now. My model was not home when the outfit was finished (or when I went to bed at 1:30, so I have no pics of the finished product on him. This is the best I can do--at least you can see the fabric buttons:


1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Those buttons look really nice! And the handstitching looks about as bad as mine, so I think we're doing fine!

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home