Thursday, March 16, 2006

The "Wrong" Shirt

Hubby had an atrociously wrong "scottish" shirt from a simplicity pattern I once used on him. Its got flared bell sleeves and gathered shoulder seams and sleeve tops that are poofily gathered into the shoulder. All sorts of frivilous gathering and unnecesary sleeve fabric that left him getting stuck to many a doorknob. We won't mention how its one of the first things I'd sewn after not sewing for a decade and that parts of it were actually sewn on INSIDE OUT. No, mum's definitely the word on that....

Its cotton muslin, so its certainly not the correct cloth for the period, but I thought this shirt deserved a makeover rather than complete abandonment. I de-gathered all the hideousness and then made the collar a plain wide circle, as so many of the flemish shirts seem to be. Oh, and I made those pesky sleeves quite a bit narrower at the wrist--I think i cropped out about a foot from each. I think it looks "close" to what the flemish men wear, and I'm glad to have rescued the bad shirt. Now I just wish it were linen. :)


The face says it all, really.


reworked shirt

I also cut out bits for the doublet and started to assemble. Here's the outside layer in action. I have the lining cut out, but haven't bothered to assemble it yet. I realized after the fact that i did this backwards....probably better to do the lining first. Cuz I noticed that the top of the collar is overlapping oddly, and i need to make an adjustment.

doublet outer layer

I think a quick snip along this line should do it:

doublet fitting

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

So how much do you pay your model? His expression....priceless. I really like the "new" shirt. Although, it'll never show, what with the 50 layers of fabric you're going to stick on top of it!

6:57 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Oh, its slave labor, definitley. Poor guy. ;)

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home