Thursday, May 25, 2006

Ties with Attitude!

I went to the fabric store last night searching for the "perfect" ties for this costume. And, naturally, I ended up with perfectly synthetic ones. But they were thin and woven looking and RED. I remembered seeing red ties on a completely not-red outfit somewhere along the line (must fish out that picture to document...), and this just looks so cute:



And, why, yes! Those ARE hand-bound eyelets. I had an eyelet revelation after feeling quite stupid for not understanding them, and now I'm having lots of fun making them. Like Beth said, they're "perversely period." I get sick pleasure out of it...

Those are the beginnings of the jerkin in the dark green. I have since attached the skirting, and its waiting for the lining to be whipstiched in. I actually am really pleased with how the sleeve caps came out, not that you can see it well in this particular pic.

Left to do (tonight and in the car tomorrow, I guess):
Finish eyelets (11 left!)
Place codpiece
Buttons on the Jerkin (cheated--see below)
Buttonholes (time is running out, so i'm cheating and using the machine for this)
Hem the doublet sleeves
Attach closures for the pants
Pin the hat flaps up (they're floppy and driving me mad!)

My button cheat: Considering how little time I have to finish this costume (um, tonight, basically), I had to find a fast way to close the jerkin. Apparently, they have KITS for covering aluminum buttons in fabric. They've got horrible aluminum backs and are not period at all, but they give the right effect on the outside. The best part is that hubby was assigned to do them for me, so, i've got 13 fabric covered buttons and I didn't have to lift a finger! I figure I'll replace them when they start to fall apart and when I have more time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I adore those little red ties. They are beyond darling. The hand-bound eyelets are lovely too...aren't they addictive. Pretty soon the hubbies will find that we've tied they're outfits together so much that they can't move. And then we can eat up all of their food-on-a-stick. Oops, said the evil plan out loud again.

That's not a totally unreasonable to-do list, considering that Adam will drive. Chauffeurs are handy.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Yeah, I'm actually hoping that the whole to-do list will happen today. Leaving me the car-ride for um, my stuff! ;) I do need to fix that veil.

I still haven't packed a lick. I think i'll be frantically packing tomorrow night. Watch me forget an entire costume or something ridiculous like that.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home