Monday, May 22, 2006

Loin Pillow'd!!!

Part I: The loin pillow
I convinced myself that the way to ease into this costume was to finally finish the codpiece. (Um, yeah, I did say "ease"...even though i've got only 4-5 nights left to finish this costume!!!) Manly costumes are not my cup of tea, apparently--just not as exciting as something I get to wear myself, therefore not as motivating. Especially when said man costumes have no embellishment and are made out of rather boring fabrics/colors....I hope I enjoy the thunderhosen more!

Anyway, after reading over Beth's creation of a codpiece, I started to think that the only thing the walrus/manatee needed were some subdue-ing stitches along the sides of the pouch.
I handstitched (yup, you heard it right--iIactually handstitched something!) along the sides, and I think this version is much more reasonable. I figure I'll try Beth's pattern for the thunderhosen's codpiece, but for this particular project I just wanted to finish what was already on hand, rather than start a new one. There's enough of starting new things later in this post....
With no further ado, the new, improved loin pillow. (yes, the pillow is offcenter, I've decided that's "period" cuz i didn't wanna fix it):


Manatee'd!!!

Gotcha!!!! ;) Okay, really:


Part II--the pants
So, with the codpiece functional it was time to move onto something else. You may remember that hubby's pants were rather ill-fitting. Everytime he sat down he bared a large bit of ye olde plumber's crack. I tried to fiddle with the existing pants to fix this--moved the crotch seam, thought about adding a larger waist band....but in the end, the only answer was new pants. Le sigh. Again.

I had *just* enough of the walrus colored fabric to eek out new pants. I actually sacrificed a pair of hubby's modern pants to figure out construction and what works on him. Convenient that I chose a pair to sacrifice that I absolutley HATE. He won't be wearing those again. Mwahahahaha!

Anyway, I finished them (minus the waistband) and then discovered a huge problem with the fabric....

Why, oh, why, did joann's write on this fabric???!! And why, oh, why, wasn't I made aware of it and at least given a discount?

Grrrrrr....
Anyway, at least the costuming gods were on my side with this (must've been the ugly pants sacrifice), cuz its in a place that I was planning to cut/taper anyway, like the last pants.

So, taper I did, and the writing is gone. they are hemmed, and the waistband is attached, but needs to be whipstitched down on the inside. A bit of handsewing I might pull out at lunch today.

In other news, i'm working on whipstitching the pale green doublet's lining down, and I finished its bottom hem last night.

What's left?:
Handstitching the pants band
Handstitching the doublet lining in
Hemming the doublet's sleeves
Constructing the jerkin--this is where most of my work lies
Many, many eyelets, and,
Hoping the hose I ordered come in time....

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Loin pillow, loin pillow, happy happy loin pillow. Although, it's not quite as pillow-y as before. I think it looks, er, well not exactly "lovely" persay, but nicely done. And yes, you totally got me with the manatee. I thought Adam got to it.

So.....I was reading your post....and doing some math.....four to FIVE nights left? Ahem. Somebody's planning on sewing the night before, isn't she? Tsk.

Your list reminded me that I haven't got anything other than yarn to tie Aaron's britches up with. Hmmm.....buy something else or let him suffer....

10:23 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Hrm...well *shuffles feet*

Your skills of a mathmetician are suberb! But a girl wouldn't wanna be bored on ride to the roachmotel, now would she? ;) And those eyelets do take a pesky long time...

*shuffles feet some more*

10:40 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I thought we agreed that sewing at the motel was only going to be for the roaches? Cute little roach codpieces in fact?

Traitor...

8:28 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

No, no, I said "on the ,ride the motel"....that still leaves the motel sewing for the roaches. See what a good girl I am....

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home