Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A Comedy of Errors

Yes, my weekend was chock full of sewing evilness. I admit to not finding it all comical. The pants I altered to fit "better" ended up with too short a waist/crotch, and now I definitely have a flemish working man. Particularly if that work were, say, plumbing. I shan't show a pic here, cuz I figure hubby would prefer to NOT have certain cracks and crevices published on the intra-web. I am still considering what to do with the pants. I might have enough fabric to start over from scratch. Or, I could try some advice from Beth and see if i could just lower the crotch. I might try that first, at any rate, to conserve fabric.

The second (very amusing) and very....LARGE....mistake I made was on the codpiece. We have deemed it the walrus. Coo-coo-Ka-Choo.... Though, I think it actuallylooks more like a manatee.


cod front


cod side

Hubby says its too big. Too prominent. Considering the simplicity of the rest of the outfit, I'm inclined to agree. Apparently, Adam is afraid he will get heckled for this. And as I don't ever want to see him embarrassed (okay, maybe just a bit, but not THAT much), I will try to make this a little more subtle. I will try codpiece v2.0 with a scaled down version soon. The original pattern is from Margo Anderson's Elizabethan Man's Packet. There were two sizes in the pattern pack, and I actually chose the smaller. But not small enough, apparently.

Below, you can see the codpiece pattern, and in the same pic, the hat pattern I made up. The hat is actually the only bit of sewing I did this weekend that hubby likes. 1/3. At least I'm batting better than zero.

patterns

In all its goofy splendor, I give you that hat. I used the same red wool from my flemish sleeves (had just a bit leftover). I made it to hopefully look like this one. The seams are purely my own decision, so I can't vouch for period correctness at all, but I think it at least has the right effect, right down to the pseudo-brim, which was purely serendipitous.

hat side

And a few detail shots:


flaps down-- sorta like this.


hat back

That's all for now. More when I work on fixing the plumber crack pants... And downsize the walrus.

5 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Heh. I have this recurring image of a lady manatee sidling up to him at the faire and murmuring something to the effect of "looking good....hubba hubba." Seriously, there is something vaguely not-right about that codpiece, but I can't really say what. It protrudes too much maybe? The front view looks ok, it's mostly the side view that makes me cackle. On the other hand, most of the period paintings make me cackle too. I mean, consider the pink man....ewwwwwwww.

I love the hat. Love love love it. I think our men will have the best hats ever. If anyone can drag their eyes away from the, um, lower bits.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

"Vaguely not-right" is putting it mildly. Thank you for your...restraint. ;)

I neglected to take a pic, but laying stuffed on the coffeetable, the codpiece of doom looks very much like a mantee puppet. I had to rip the sharpie from adam's hands as he threatened to draw it a little face "so it could look back up at me". I think it does more than enough looking up already.

Adam has taken to wearing the hat around the house. That either means he genuinely likes it or is tyring to make me feel better about the disastrous plumber pants/walrus combo.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

My money is on the "he really likes it" option for the hat. Because I myself really like it. You know. As in, maybe I'll make myself one for next winter. And wear it to lab. The hat is pure awesomeness. Wearing it in June may not be pure awesomeness.

Let him make his manatee puppet. That's a picture the whole internets would enjoy.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ok, I've been thinking about the manatee again and comparing it to period pictures. You know, I am wondering if it's not so much the size/shape that's the problem as the placement? It seems like most of them are situated somewhat lower? Just a thought.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Julebug said...

You could be right about the placement. I also think, though, that if the waistband were higher like it should be (less plumber crack), the placement would naturally be lower....stupid pants. Argh. :)

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home